Using DVDFab in Parallels to copy a DVD
Well it’s been a bit of a difficult time getting adjust to only using a MacBook Pro laptop for all of my day-to-day needs. One thing that I used to do pretty heavily is backup my DVD movies to my hard drive using Windows XP and DVDFab Platinum.
Well I tried installing DVDFab under Parallels Desktop 2.0. This didn’t work out so well. The copy process would get about half way through then it would error out. This was probably due to the DVDFab trying to write to the Parallels virtual hard drive.
Recently I decided to give it another try with upgraded software:
This time it worked great! The only difference here is that I set the Target directory to my
\\.PSF\.Home\Movies folder. This translates to my
/Users/larry.gordon/Movies/ directory in Finder.
I’ve successfully copied 5 movies at DVD9 quality with no errors. There was minimal memory usage (no more than what Parallels was using when running no apps). And my CPU levels never went above 50%.
In case anyone is wondering, my system setup is the following:
- MacBook Pro
- Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
- Memory: 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
On my next DVD copy I’ll add a few screenshots of the task manager and the activity monitor in this post.